About two-three weeks ago (4-5 weeks from due date) on a sleepless pregnant night, I started to get serious about packing a hospital bag, thinking about what I want/need there with me, and doing research from what other mama’s or friends recommended. I was in total nesting mode, I would lie awake at night just wanting to go refold her clothes or organize her closet.
I knew once we got to 37 weeks, she could come at any time and I wanted to feel prepared, not scrambling to put things in a bag, and run out the door. Here’s the ultimate hospital bag checklist from a very researched first time mama + someone who likes to be prepared for it all (just in case)!
Hospital Bag Checklist
First things first, you’ll need a hospital bag. Something lightweight, durable, that you can fit a lot in, but that you’ll be able to use again. I ended up choosing the Beis weekender bag, it fit everything I needed for me, dad, and baby. I love having a separate zipper pocket on the bottom for the bigger things and also the baby’s photo op things (outfit, swaddle with her name on it, and name plate).
What to pack in your hospital bag (for Mom)
Toiletries. I packed a toothbrush and toothpaste, hair brush, scrunchies, dry shampoo, travel size of my shampoo & conditioner, deodorant, lip balm, and my skincare routine. I also packed some easy natural makeup because I want to look cute in pictures! And I have heard that you need a little something to feel alive and normal after you just birthed your little bebe.
I put most of my toiletries in a small bag so that if anything leaked, it wouldn’t spill all over our clothes and other necessities packed.
- 2 shirts
- Cardigan (to go home in)
- Fuzzy Socks (with grips on the bottom)
- Bralette since the hospital I am delivering in has a tub to labor in
- Nursing bra since I am planning on breastfeeding
- Diffuser (If your hospital or birthing center allows, I bought one and then learned that they don’t allow any diffusers)
- Essential Oils
- This little tappable + dimmable night light
- Nipple Butter
- Extra Long (10 feet) charging cord along with charging blocks (one for me + dad)
- Extension Cord
- Shower shoes
- Polaroid camera + extra film
- Your birth plan
- Pillows + blankets and from everything I read this isn’t 100% necessary but we had an overnight visit in the hospital and speaking first hand, the hospital we are going to doesn’t have comfy blankets or comfy pillows.
- Reusable water bottle
- Snacks (Dad’s + Mom’s pick) we’re bringing granola bars (the ones here) and I love the Trader Joe’s PB&J ones, uncrustables, some fruit squeezes, and some nuts.
- Electrolytes since who knows how long labor will be and i am sure we both will be exhausted, it’s important for us to hydrate and give our body some nutrients.
What to pack in your hospital bag (for Baby)
- Carseat (with the base already installed) did you know they wont let you take your baby home without one?
- A gown to take pictures in along with anything else you want for this. We have a name plate and a little bow.
- Swaddle Blanket
- 2 extra onesies
- Cozy blankie
What to pack in your hospital bag (for dad)
- Toiletries. All his necessities, the same as you did for yourself.
- Comfy clothes:
- 2-3 shirts
- The little chair/bed that dad’s sleep in where we are delivering is right under the air conditioning so our doula recommended he brings a beanie
What you don’t need to bring in your hospital bag
As I mentioned earlier, I am a first time Mom so take everything I say with a grain of salt here. But from everyone I have talked to and the research I have done, all say not to bring these:
- Anything you don’t want ruined (clothes wise)
- Postpartum necessities, unless you already know what you like.
Everything I talked about that I packed, I linked here on my Amazon Storefront just in case you need some ideas!
Did I forget anything? Let me know in the comments below!
~ XOXO, the soon to be new mama, Amanda // Blonde out of Water