It’s already time to say au revoir to 2019 and hello to 2020! This year has been a whirlwind of a year that was filled with lots of hardships, trying days, but as well as new opportunities and lots of learning.
I feel like every year we get the chance to reset, to look within and outside and reflect. But this year I feel like there’s even more pressure. It’s the end of a decade after all. Heading into a new decade to me is both exciting and intimidating, I’ve long lost the idea for resolutions that are so easy to come and go. Instead, I’ve tried to set intentions. Intentions that will help live the best version of myself, small steps, every day. I try to think of intentions that are not only beneficial to me physically and mentally, but things I can stick to, actually achieve and turn into habits.
I won’t lie, some of these are bucket list items, things I need to do, and some are just plain for fun. This is my way to combine both my bucket list with my to-do list along with my big goals and take strides to achieve them.
My Intentions for 2020
1. Run 3.2 (or a 5k) without stopping. I hate running, like I loathe it, and would rather do any other workout. But I’ve always wanted to like it. So this year, I’m hoping to turn into a runner.
2. Invest more in my Roth IRA. There’s nothing like saving for a rainy day and preparing for the future. This is something I should become better at and making it more of a habit.
3. Read a book a month. I am notorious for buying books and then never finishing them or even picking them up.
4. See a new play. I love a good play, and it’s something I’ve done occasionally since I was young, and then, of course, becoming obsessed with the soundtrack.
5. Drive up the coast, the 101, and spontaneously find a city to sleep in. Does this stress anyone else out?! Dear Lord, I love to have a plan. But I am trying to be more open to going with the flow.
6. Update my San Diego blog. I made my San Diego bucket list blog, almost three years ago. There are so many new spots to see, places to eat, and stuff to do that I want to share with you all!
7. No more negative self talk. This is something I’ve always struggled with, and if we don’t love and appreciate ourselves, how can we expect anyone else to?!
8. Set foot in a new continent. There’s no hiding my love for travel, which is why this shouldn’t a surprise to anyone.
9. Try acupuncture. This freaks me out to no end. I hate needles, the thought just makes me queasy. But I’ve heard such great things about it – why not go in with an open mind and give it a try!
10. Make a recipe from every cookbook I have. I love to buy cookbooks (see a theme here?!) but rarely if ever, use them! And the recipes look and sound delicious – unless I fail miserably, how would they not taste delicious?
11. Find the perfect little black dress. This always seems so easy – and then I try on about 50 and give up. But I see them on everyone else. I want one too!
12. Watch 10 classic films. I am probably the person you can always count on to say, “I’ve never seen that!” And then slump in my chair in embarrassment. No more 2020, no more!
13. Find out my blood type. This may seem stupid, but it’s something I’ve always wondered. Now let’s just hope that I can find this out without giving blood.
14. Buy a piece of property. And turn it into my real-life Barbie Dream House (kidding…kind of). This has long been my dream and then my life has taken a different turn – but here’s to 2020 and making a long-time dream come true.
15. Go one month without shopping. But of course, buy the essentials of course!
16. Design a bar cart. I’ve always been a sucker for a cute bar cart, and would any Barbie Dream House be complete without a bar cart to go along with it?! That’s a rhetorical question, just in case you didn’t get the memo.
17. Journal every day for a month. EVERYDAY! Even if it’s a small thought, something mundane about my day. I used to be good about this, for a week on and off but never consistently. It was always so fun to go back and read!
18. Hit and maintain a healthy weight. This goes along with the no negative self-talk. But to me, I’ve always been driven by a number on a scale vs. how I feel. I want to be toned and to look in the mirror and be like DAMN GIRL, GET IT!
19. Plan a blogger event. I loved my blogging girls in Boston (MISS YOU!!!) and I want that in San Diego! What’s better to create this by planning a blogging event?!
20. BE HAPPY! This is huge. And this should be on everyone’s list of intentions. Except moving it up to the top.
Now you tell me, what are your New Year’s intentions you want to work on?
~ XOXO, cheers to 2020, Amanda